Austin-Healey Sprite 1964 restoration steps

At the beginning of the restoration, I completely teared down the car to the last bolt. I made myself a carrier (which you can partially see on some photos) that made the car stand about 4 feet off the ground and that allowed me to rotate it 360 degrees. Very convenient!

0-bas_porte_droit_avant

Dismantling the bottom right door. The floor was already removed.

 

2-int_passager_demonte

View from inside. Note the condition of the car.

 

1-bas_porte_droit_demonteOnce the bottom door removed, I had to redo the end of the bar.
 
 
3-derriere_banc_droit_demontage
View of the back of the passenger seat.
 
 
4-bas_porte_droit
The bottom of the door, the door jamb and the floor installed.
 
 
6-int_plancher_droit
View from inside.
 
 
5-dessous_avantBottom view with the driver side's floor removed. Rustproofing was applied to each place that was going to be closed. Note that the car is placed vertically on its carrier.
 
 
 9-aile_arr_avant
Removing the rear quarter panel and reconstruction of the quarter panel liner.
 
 
11-reconstruction_aile_arr2
After being sandblasted.
 
 
12-reconstruction_aile_arr3
 
 
13-reconstruction_aile_arr
 
 
10-aile_arr_noire
Rustproofing before closing.
 
 
14-aile_arr_soudure
The new quarter panel is installed and partially welded.
 
 
15-aile_arr_soudure_complet
Weld completed.
 
 
16-avant_sandblast
Work in progress. The bottom left door was replaced.
 
 
17-bas_calandre_demonte
The bottom of the grille was perforated. I had to cut it to rebuild.
 
 
18-avant_sandblast_avant
Car reassembling beginning.
 
 
19-avant_sandblast_cote
Side view.
 
 
20-capot_soudure
Reconstruction of the front of the bonnet that was eaten by rust.
 
 
21-capot_soude
The bonnet with the rebuilt completed.
 
 
22-sandblast_arriere
Installation for sandblast (which causes a lot of dust!).
 
 
23-sandblast_arriere2
Other view. Here we can see the carrier, so convenient!
 
 
24-sansblast_avant
Engine compartment after sandblasting.
 
 
25-dessous_sandblast2
Underneath after sandblast treatment .
 
 
26-dessous_sandblast
Another view of the underneath.
 
 
28-primer_avant_h
Engine compartment after etching primer treatment.
 
 
29-primer_avant_v
Another view.
 
 
30-chambre_peinture
Photo taken from inside the paint room (makeshift) which I built in my basement. You can see the dust filters each side of the door. Inside this room, there was a furnace fan that pushed the air out when I was painting. Also, I took care to wet the floor before painting to avoid dust to the maximum.
 
 
31-interieur_couleur
First, I painted all internal sections. Then I applied a primer builder. This allowed to fill the tiny imperfections before applying color. Note that I used very few putty (exposed welds rear wings and other small places).
 
 
32-peinture_int
Another view of inside painted.
 
 
33-peinture_aile
Finally! After all those hours, here is a first step towards the end. Here you can see the reflection of the sky on the fender. I was pretty proud because it was for me the first time I worked with car paint. I did not take the easy path; with black base coat & clear coat. Very happy with the result.
 
 
34-peinture_avant1
View from the inside.
 
 
35-peinture_arriere
Rear view.
 
 
37-peinture_banx
Another view.
 
 
36-peinture_avant
Front view.
 
 
39-transmission_vide
Start of mechanics. Here we see the transmission I dismounted to change the sync.
 
 
40-transmission
Here are the parts of the transmission. Nice little puzzle!
 
 
41-transmission_refait
Assembling done.
 
 
42-transmission_refait2
Another photo of the transmission rebuilt.
 
 
43-transmission_final
Transmission completed and ready for coupling to the engine.
 
 
44-moteur_1
Here you can see the engine during reassembly. It is an engine of 1098cc 4-cylinder developing a big 43HP!
 
 
45-moteur_2
Another view.
 
 
46-moteur_3
Engine with clutch installed.
 
 
47-moteur_trans_1
Here we see the transmission coupled to the engine.
 
 
48-moteur_trans_2
Another view.
 
 
49-carburateur
Atmospheric carburetors. Nice little challenge to assemble and adjust.
 
 
50-moteur_insert_1
Inserting the motor into its compartment.
 
 
51-moteur_insert_2
Another view.
 
 
52-int_trans
The shift lever. It takes shape!
 
 
53-moteur_in
Engine installation completed.
 
 
54-vue_int_ext
The project keeps going. The wheels, interior finishes and accessories are installed.
 
 
55-devant
Front view, only the bumper is missing.
 
 
56-bumper_original
Rear bumper. Here, I wanted to show that I had found an original brand new bumper!
 
 
38-banc
Here, another new challenge for me. Make the seats' covers. It was the first time I used a sewing machine. Very happy with the result.
 
 
59-interieur
 Interior completed with seats.
 
 
57-final_droit
The project is almost completed. Here, it is only missing the front bumper and wheel cover.
 
 
58-final_gauche
Another view.
 
 
61-final_2
View of the right rear.
 
 
60-final_1
Another photo of the finished project. Note the mirror on the left front fender.
 
 
62-final_avant
There you go! After 2000 hours of work, here is the result. I put it on the road for its 40th anniversary at the end of summer 2004. Note that this was my first experience in car restoration. First for several areas: bodywork, paint, engine, seats, etc. The beauty of all this is that the car started on first try! Unfortunately I had to sell it for practical reasons (2 places).